Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Shrimp Scampi Zoodles


What is a zoodle, you say?? It's just zucchini shredded to look like noodles!! The workout program I'm doing right now recommends carb cycling. This means that each week, the amount of carbs I'm "allowed" changes, which in turn changes the amount of protein and veggies I can have. For example, if I'm allowed less carbs, then I am allowed more protein and veggies. More carbs, means fewer protein and veggies. This week is CARB FREE!! Hence, the zoodles. What makes this extra amazing is the flexibility. My family typically eats what I eat. They don't mind eating healthy, they just have different portions. However, my family does not carb cycle nor do I expect them to. Usually, to account for the lack of carbs that I am making for myself, I am just adding a rice or noodle side for them that I am not eating. Easy! Zoodles is no different. The zoodles were for me, and my family ate regular spaghetti with, literally, everything else the same! So this recipe is enough zoodles for one person, but everything else is enough to split three ways. This recipe is adapted from a Buzzfeed recipe.

Ingredients
2 medium zucchini 
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 pounds shrimp (since this was our sole protein for dinner, I made sure to have PLENTY!)
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste - this is how much we used which still gave a good spice - it was a little too much for my son though)
4 cloves garlic (or if you are using the jarred crushed garlic like I do, use 3 tsp)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 lemon (make sure it's a juicy one!)

Preparation
**If you are also making spaghetti, start that first following the directions on the box**
1. If you have a spiralizer, I imagine you could use this to make your zoodles. I do not, however, have a fancy spiralizer. Using a cheese grater, grate the zucchini long ways until you get to the seeds (you don't want seeds in your zoodles). 
2. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
3. Add the shrimp (I bought the already cooked kind so I was literally just warming them up). Season with salt, pepper, red pepper, and garlic. If shrimp are not already cooked, sauté until they are evenly pink.
4. Pour in chicken brother and lemon juice and let the liquid come to a boil. 
5. Add the zoodles and stir until everything is combined. **Make sure you give the zoodles time to cook! I did not do this well enough and the zoodles came out bitter. Let the zoodles simmer in the yummy sauce and soak up all that flavor for a few minutes.

If you are following Beachbody's portion fix containers, here is your count:
1 red (half pound shrimp), 2 green (zoodles)

For more recipes, or Health and Fitness tips, go to Fitness, Food and Fun at







No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Oh my wow. This is definitely one of my favorite new recipes so far!! Yum. I'm craving it right now as I write this. Making this in...